It’s time for a break from work, from school, and from the daily grind … but that much-needed time off can never be a vacation from reality, at least not without pretending that “being on vacation” means our lifestyle choices no longer matter.
The good news – there are some simple strategies that can help you have fun and, with little time and energy investment, keep up with many of your Life By Design action steps. You can turn your holiday into a health boost instead of a colossal setback!
The most important principle to understand is that Reality Exists. If something is important for the health of your body today, it will be important for your health tomorrow. It doesn’t matter whether you are carrying out your normal routine at home or lounging in a tropical paradise with the ocean at your feet.
Life By Design is built on the fundamental law that the human body has Requirements for optimal function and health (food, movement, rest, oxygen, nerve supply). Those needs are required to be fulfilled consistently and, when they are not, our body moves away from health and towards sickness.
Your vacation may be relatively short but that does not mean poor choices will not be without consequence. Here are some simple tips to help you succeed:
- Whether you are visiting an all-inclusive resort, dining out or cooking your own meals, it’s not as difficult as you may think to keep up with Eating By Design. Focus on big salads, plenty of meat and veggies; guacamole, butter and olive oil are wonderful fat sources that are usually plentiful; water, with some coffee or tea, should make up the majority of your liquid intake. Want to indulge in some dessert? Ice cream (if you do dairy) or some fruit will be your healthier choices. Want to indulge in some alcohol? Stick to mostly clear alcohols and red wine; avoid more than a small amount of the common sugar-filled tropical drinks.
- Exercise doesn’t need to take a back seat; in fact, it’ll make your vacation much more energized and enjoyable! Walk every day, and, if a gym is on-site, why not keep up with your regular training? Try some gentle sprinting on the beach, swimming against the waves, or register for some of the activities offered in your area.
- Get plenty of rest, but do not sleep in! Avoid the temptation to break your regular sleep cycle – wake up early, exercise, and get your day started right. You can always enjoy a siesta later in the afternoon.
- Take some personal time. Holidays may be fun for the whole family, but this is also your time. Set aside an afternoon or daily time for reflection, journaling or simply dreaming big about your life. Have fun and live in the moment.
- Power By Design is vital… however, unless you can bring your Wellness Chiropractor with you, be sure to have an appointment scheduled for when you return. Stay on track with the health of your nerve system and function of your body.